FAMILY LAW: DO AND DON'T
If you are thinking about filing for DIVORCE, or a DIVORCE action has been filed against you, DO:
- Consult with an attorney.
- Prepare a current household budget (Financial Statement) including all income sources.
- Prepare a household budget (Financial Statement) not including your spouse's income.
- Prepare an inventory of your property, assets, and debts.
- Prepare a "wish list" of what you want in terms of child support, spousal maintenance, and marital property.
- Preserve any evidence that you believe will help your case.
- Cooperate and communicate with your soon-to-be ex-spouse about children of the marriage, unless a court order says otherwise.
- Provide your attorney with accurate information about the marriage and potential witnesses.
- Involve the children at anytime.
- Hide, transfer, or affect marital property.
- Post anything about your soon-to-be ex-spouse.
- Post your new relationship(s) on social media.
- Destroy evidence.